Alexander Noble (1829 – 1905) was one of Fish Creek’s founding fathers who moved
from his native Scotland to Chambers Island in 1856 . He built the first sawmill
and turned the island into a busy lumber camp. In 1862 he moved to Fish Creek to
raise his family and became at various times blacksmith, postmaster, farmer, town
chairman and county board member.
To be the village blacksmith was of no small importance in a life style dependent
on horses and buggies and hand-forged tools for building houses and keeping sawmills
and fishing boats in operation. Noble probably made his own tools and nails to erect
his ten room home on the prominent corner on Fish Creek’s Main Street; the land
grant signed by Abraham Lincoln. He also filed on 300 acres of land east of the
village, raising peas and other crops and kept horses and cows.
Alexander Noble raised seven children; three with his wife, Emily Vaughn Noble, and
after her death in 1872, four with Maria Campbell Noble who lived some 30 years after
Alexander’s death. He was active in the Democratic Party and his deep interest in
education led to a gift to the town of property for a grade school built where the
Community Center now stands.
All homes constructed before his were log homes. The Noble house was the first to
be made of lathe and plaster. Completed in 1875, his dwelling is the oldest remaining
residence in the village.